Pothos Toxicity: The Real Risks of These Poisonous Plants



Pothos, or its scientific name Epipremnum aureum, is a stunning evergreen flowering plant from the Arum family.

But, a common concern new plant owners ask is about pothos toxicity. So, we’ll explain more about if Pothos is poisonous and what you should do.

Is the Pothos Poisonous or Toxic?

The pothos plant is a much-beloved choice for indoor decor, with its flowing vines and glossy leaves. However, according to the ASPCA, this plant also harbors a potentially dangerous secret – tiny crystals composed of calcium oxalate.

Is the Pothos Plant Toxic to Humans?

Although beautiful, this plant can be harmful if touched or consumed. This is because  all parts of the plant (leaves and stem) contain calcium oxalate crystals that can cause irritation if they come in contact with the skin or mouth.

Is Pothos Toxic to Cats?

Good news for cat owners – simply walking past, smelling, or rubbing against the pothos plant won’t harm your furry friend! However, it could spell trouble if your curious kitty nibbles on any part of the plant.

Is Golden Pothos Toxic to Dogs?

Yes. Pothos plants are toxic to dogs. But wait to throw out those houseplants. If your dog has helped itself to a snack from your pothos plant, you might notice some worrisome symptoms like vomiting, excessive drooling, and difficulty swallowing.

Swipe up to read the full article.